Monday, April 5, 2010

my comings and goings...

A few updates, stories and pics from my life recently! I will post some more soon! I haven’t updated in a while, so I have so much to write about!

We met a group of about 8 girls who are all around the age of 15 or 16. We have been meeting with them every Thursday. They are all friends and most of them stay on the same street in Masi. They are so fun and bring so much joy to my heart! It is so fun watching their interactions, seeing how each week they are opening up more and more. But there is a reality that strikes my heart every time I hang out with them. They are victims of a continuous cycle that plagues the people of Masi. At the age of 15 one of the girls in the group already has a child and another is pregnant. One of the biggest strongholds of the community is the lack of fathers. The vast majority of the young women I meet already have one or more children, and yet it is extremely rare for the fathers to be in the picture. The majority of people have not been raised by fathers who speak worth and identity into their lives. The women do not know how much they are worth. So many women in Masi live with verbal and physical abuse, as well as, rape. In a nearby township, statistics say that at least half of the women have been raped. My heart cries out for these young women, that they would know how valuable they are. I long for them to know the greatness they were made for. For them to have men in their lives who will protect, provide and love them well. For their children to grow up with a father, and in a safe and healthy family.
“You hear O Lord the desire of the afflicted, you encourage them and listen to their cry, defending the fatherless and the oppressed.” Psalm 10:17-18 My heart really does cry out for the fatherless and the women who are so oppressed by this cycle. My heart is so stirred to see restoration of families in Africa. It is so needed and so near to the Father’s heart! He loves families!

Lately I have been running into a lot old friends that I have met the last three times in cape town! The other day I was getting an ice cream cone at McDonalds near our house. As I got to the front of the line, I noticed that the girl at the cashier looked so familiar. She looked up and saw me and her face lit up. I realized that I had met her one of my previous times in Masi! It was so exciting to get to reconnect with her! She told me that after we had prayed for her to get a job, she got a job at McDonalds! (Unemployment is unbelievably high in South Africa, so most people we meet ask us to pray for a job.) She also told me that she started a tech program and is taking classes! Praise God! He has a hope and a future for his children. Since then I have run into her in Masi… I love that I have been able to invest in this community and that the connections I have made here in the past are so lasting!
One of the joys of my life is the weekly kids club that we put on for the Vulnerable Children kids. Last week, after we played games in an open field, we were coming back to the house were we hold the kids club, we were walking with a group of about 40 children. They were all singing and dancing in the streets in unison all the way back to the house. I have never wanted my video camera so much than in that moment. The streets were filled with joy, dancing and the sweet sound of children…people were peeking their heads out of their houses to see what was happening. The Lord many times as given me the same vision for Masi: his people singing and dancing in the streets, freed from their chains of oppression and filled with his joy and hope! In that moment watching those kids, I caught a glimpse of that vision the Lord has for Masi. It was such a beautiful moment and I know I will never forget it! Here is a pic of the children listening to a story at kids club! They are my joy!

I have found that Easter is a much bigger holiday here than in the states. People begin celebrating and traveling to be with family starting on Palm Sunday. Here is a pic of a group from the Zion church parading through the streets of Masi, singing and preaching as they go!




Here is a pic of my roommates in our backyard! (From left: Me! Amanda, Nicole (from florida) and Rachel).



So a fun tidbit for you in closing… I am officially AFRICAN! I received a Xhosa name last week! My new name is Bubele, which means kindness or friendliness. (Name meanings are really important in Xhosa culure, which I love!) We met a dear woman named Irene, a fun, joyful mama who is so hungry for the Kingdom. She is everything you would imagine an African Mama to be! On our last visit, we were just talking and having tea with her and she ended up giving us Xhosa names! It has been really funny introducing myself with an African name to people in Masi and seeing their confused faces! Ha!

I treasure your prayers so much! Here are some things you can be praying for!
-Teaching phase: The Lord would use my remaining three weeks in Masi to see long lasting fruit in the people I have met and am pouring into! Also pray that all the things I have learned/am learning will be imprinted on in my life.
-Outreach Phase: I would continue to receive the Lord’s heart and dreams over Zimbabwe, as well as, pray for unity for our team!
-Future plans: Direction for my next step after completing CPx.



-Financial provision: I am still in need of funds in order to complete my last tuition payment for CPx. Please pray for provision! And if you feel led to give towards my last payment (which is about $500), you would truly be an answer to prayers! (*See below for details.)


MUCH LOVE and MANY BLESSINGS!

whit
(* If you would like to sow into my last tuition payment, you can send checks to 10513 S. 86th E. Pl. Tulsa, Ok 74133. Checks can be made payable to Whitney Caldwell. Thanks!)

1 comment:

  1. Dear Bubele (love that name - wanna pronounce it Bubbly, which also fits!), So touched to get a glimpse of your world, seems that God is working mightily in you and through you. Much love, Ms Steph

    ReplyDelete