Saturday, April 17, 2010

life is good in south africa :)

Hello friends and family!

I have much to tell! It has been an exciting past couple of weeks full of fun breakthroughs! I had some really good days in Masi last week. On Thursday, we went to visit this guy who we have been meeting with weekly. I will share a quick testimony about him! A few weeks ago, we were meeting with him in his shack reading the word and sharing with one another. During our time with him I kept having pain shooting from my hip to my calf in my right leg. I never have this pain so I took note that it might be from the Lord. (Sometimes the Lord will give people pain for a minute that someone else has so they can know to pray for that pain in the other person. This is called a word of knowledge.) At the end of our time, we asked him if he needed prayer for anything. He began sharing that he has leg pain and began pointing to his right leg in the exact place I had been having “pain.” I began freaking out and telling him that I had been having pain there and that the Lord wanted to heal him! We explained about the word of knowledge and he was getting so excited! We prayed for him and declared healing. He told us it hurts him at work when he stands for a while and that he couldn’t tell if it was healed yet. WELL, when we went back the next week he told us that he had been healed and that he no longer had leg pain!!! Praise the Lord! Well as we were on the way to his house last week his neighbor stops us and pulls us into her shack and shuts the door. She began speaking to us in a hushed, serious tone and was barely looking at us. She begins telling us that she has a secret that no one knows. She begins pouring her heart out...that she is HIV positive and that she stopped treatment because some people found out and were making fun of her. She shared that her life is a mess, she can't get a job and she can't stop drinking. She told us that she has seen Vovo, who is a girl from Masi who began following Jesus and is now in CPx, and others in "our church" from Masi and that she sees the way their lives have changed and that she wants that! She told us that she has never followed Jesus, but that she wants to start!!! So we shared the God story with her and I had a word for her from psalm 18. She told us that she wants us to come back and read the bible with her and help her follow Jesus. This whole time she was so serious and as we were leaving she was hugging us and smiling! She was so giddy and was introducing us to all her friends and family who were outside! It is so good to follow Jesus! His grace really does melt all our guilt and shame, and his love and power really do heal and transform lives! Ndaba ismnandi! (good news!) Later as we were walking down the street, we ran into a man we had randomly prayed for the week before. We had prayed that he would get a job. He called us over and told us that in the next few days after we prayed he got a job! There are so many testimonies of God’s provision and healing in Masi…he is bringing his Kingdom to earth because he loves his children! Praise the Lord!

So I have been living in south Africa for 2 ½ months now. I really love living in another country and culture…it is always an adventure! But there are definitely so many fun cultural/communication breakdowns every day. So often we will have to stop and try figure out what in the world the other person is trying to say! One really fun cultural difference we have come across recently is that in Xhosa culture it is a good thing for a woman to gain weight. So one of our African sisters told my roommate (with excitement and good intentions) that she was looking big! She came back to our room mortified that she had just been called fat! We had to do some major debriefing to help her figure out that it was meant to be a nice thing! Ha! I have found it is always an adventure living cross culturally and I am loving it! For your enjoyment, here is a list of some commonly used phrases here that I am learning to use!

queue: a line you stand in
how's it?: what's going on?/how are you doing?
is it?: really?
sort it out: take care of it/figure it out
just now: in a little while
now: in a minute
now now: right this second
pitch: come/show up
top it off: refill
long: tall (so you would say: that boy is long for his age).
crockery: dishes
chips: fries
crisps: potato chips
biscuit: cookie
scone: biscuit
crumpit: pancake
a sweet: any type of candy or desert
takkies: sneakers
hooting: honking (as in a car)
robot: traffic light
windy house: a shack
kreche: preschool

fun facts from last week:
1. I ate sheep intestines for the first time! Ladies cook them on the side of the road in Masi and sell them...so my friend Vovo bought some to share with us the other day. OH MY! Lets just say it was verrrry interesting...and very chewy!
2. I saw my first dolphin last weekend! On my day of last week, my roommate, Rachel, and I took a taxi to fish hoek beach. We saw something swimming around in the distance...at first we thought it might be a shark but then i saw it jump up out of the water...it was a dolphin! I love dolphins and I have never seen one in the wild, so i was sooo happy :) dream fulfilled!

i leave for zimbabwe in 5 days! i am so excited! i will write more soon about our upcoming trip.
MUCH LOVE!

whit

No comments:

Post a Comment