Thursday, June 16, 2011

The epic tale of a miraculously functioning computer.


i believe in miracles. even ones that involve electronics.


april 18th began just like any other monday. i arrived at the all nations office early, made myself some coffee and sat down at my laptop to get some work done. i reached for my coffee, and before i knew it, i had dropped the mug leaving a pool of coffee on my (fairly new) computer that i had saved foreverrr for. eeeeek! i immediately grabbed my computer, poured the liquid off and (thanks to my friend bowen who knows much about computers) i turned the power off.


my friend, bowen, quickly ran home, grabbed his computer tools, and began taking my computer a part.



about an hour later, my computer was COMPLETELY taken a part and placed in a bucket of rice to soak up the liquid. and that is where it sat for the next three days. the amazing part of the whole experience is i just had such a confidence in my heart that it would all be okay. my motto for the whole process was "I will not be intimidated!" i chose from the first few minutes to not give into being overwhelmed by this unfortunate event, but to choose peace and joy! the very thing the enemy wants in times of hardship, trouble or misfortune is for us to give into despair, sadness, self pity, fear...but what is the Father saying in these times?

"take courage my beloved! for I work all things for your good; I am with you and nothing is impossible for me...if you just have a little faith! "


so that is just what i did. i decided to have faith in the One who is so worthy of my trust!


after the third day (which just so happened to be Good Friday!) my computer was reassembled and, alas, it actually turned on!!! wow. i was overjoyed! there was only a few things that weren't working, the biggest things being the space bar and the delete key. BUT soon bowen had figured out how to pull up a keyboard on the screen. "i will not be intimidated!" i rejoiced in the victory!


SADLY, a day later my computer shut off only to stay shut off :( it would begin to start up and then just die. oh man. but truly, i did not feel discouraged. even though everything was telling me that this is the end of the computer, i felt in my heart that the fight wasn't over.


my computer then sat dead for about a month in my room. bowen decided that he would try and get my hard drive off my computer so i could at least recover all my documents and pictures. he discovered in that process that my computer actually would turn on!!!! but here is the catch: if you do not move the mouse every 8 seconds the computer will shut off! yikes! BUT hey thats a small problem compared to it being completely dead! i was once again overjoyed! AND not only that but the space bar and delete keys NOW worked! oh my goodness..."i will NOT be intimidated!"


after about two weeks of moving the mouse constantly...i was beginning to form a twitch :) i then discovered that if you just hold your hand on the mousepad it will stay on...which led to me discovering that if you put something heavy on the mouse pad, it will hold it down and keep the computer on! (hence the stapler.) WOW. victory after victory!


auntie pat, who works in the all nations office, gave me this beautiful rock, that i have lovingly named the 'rock of contentment' (i have NO idea why, but it is a name that has stuck with me and amy.) at that is the end of this epic tale!



**note: as i wrote this blog post i turned away for a minute (well about 9 seconds to be exact) only to find that my computer had shut off, losing this post that i had not yet saved. arrrg. there are many moments of frustration because of the after effects of that devastating coffee spill. however, each time I remember to stop my grumbling and rejoice for the fact that i have a functioning computer! it truly is a miracle and i am choosing to celebrate every victory the Lord gives!

No comments:

Post a Comment