Tuesday, May 3, 2011

He raises the poor from the dust
and lifts the needy from the ash heap... (ps. 113)

One of the biggest fires Masiphumelele has ever seen swept through the Wetlands (the poorest part of Masi) early Monday morning. The fire trucks arrived soon after it started, however because of the wind and the location of the raging fire in the back of the wetlands prevented the firemen from getting to where the fire started. The count of lost homes on Monday was 1,500.

It truly is a devastation for the community. Thousands upon thousands have been affected. The fire spread so quickly that most of the people I have spoken to were not able to salvage much of their belongings.
This fire effected 8 of our Vulnerable Children families. And in our All Nations family, we have many more BabySafe clients, house church members, and friends that have lost their homes, as well.
I spent all day Monday in Masi doing whatever I could to help. I spent time connecting with each of our VC families, assessing needs and comforting them as best I could. We partnered with the disaster relief efforts, volunteering our time and service organizing donations and serving food. I spent time with some of our VC children who had no where to go while their parents worked on registering with the government, clearing out the debris and gathering supplies. We "set up camp" at our prayer shack in Masi, providing them a place to rest and food to eat. We thankfully have space in our Africa House to house some of the families that lost their homes and had no one in the township to stay with. Our families are beginning to make plans on how to start again. They have all registered with the government in order to receive aid. On Monday, they received two thin blankets and food from the government. They will also receive five tins and some wood. This will not build a shack, but it is a start. We are hoping to provide clothing, coats, school uniforms, blankets, building materials, furniture and basic household items for our VC families and some of the families that we have relationship with.
We are also continuing to partner with the local efforts to provide assistance to as many families as possible.

It truly is overwhelming. But I am filled with comfort as I turn to the Father who cares. He cares for his children. He is not abandoning them in this hour of crisis. At times I feel to overwhelmed to even know where to begin to pray for the multitude of people who have lost so much. But the thing that the Lord speaks to me over and over is HOPE. I am crying out for the God of comfort to fill his people with his HOPE. I am praying that they would be filled and overflowing with the reassurance that the Father is with them. I am praying that the same hope that drew me to Jesus in my most desperate hour would fill each and every hopeless and desperate heart. Please join with me in praying this over the people of Masi!

If you would like to give financially toward the fire relief efforts in Masi you can send donations to:
All Nations Family, Inc
c/o Walsh Washburn
5360 College Boulevard Ste. 100
Overland Park, KS 66211
**Please enclose a note that says "Crisis Relief Fund, Cape Town"

If you live in the Cape Town are and would like to find out how you can help please contact me at Whitneyelise211@gmail.com and I would love to send you more info!

A picture (taken by a friend who lives in Masi) during the height of the fire early Monday morning.

Have you ever seen such big pots?! The government brought in a hot meal Monday evening.

That is a LOT of rice, people!

There was a huge rainbow as we drove into Masi Monday afternoon! Thank you Lord. You are faithful and loving, and your promises are always sure.

We gathered our sweet VC kids for a fire safety presentation just last Friday. When I found one of our young VC girls on Monday after the fire, she proudly told me that right as the fires started she told her mother that they must call the fire department and then told her the number! (very few people here know the emergency numbers and it often takes a while before the fire dept. is called). So proud of our little one!

Oh how I love these kids! Friday afternoon kids club.

Blessings to each of you! I will write more soon.

with love,
whit


No comments:

Post a Comment